Client: NSW Department of Planning
Date: December 2011
Peter and Heather led the development of the EPBC Act strategic assessment for the Western Sydney Growth Centres.
We worked for the NSW Department of Planning in assessing the impacts and defining long term conservation activities for the two large urban expansion areas.
It was a critical piece of work for the NSW Government and one of the first strategic assessments in Australia.
Figure taken from www.growthcentres.nsw.gov.au
What we did
The project involved:
- Preparation of the Terms of Reference for the assessment
- Preparation of the Growth Centres Program which establishes the long term commitments to protect matters of national environmental significance
- Preparation of a large and complex impact assessment report
We worked closely with the NSW Department of Planning to help them through the process. Our work is held in high regard by the NSW Government. Particularly in relation to:
- Our analysis of the landscape scale issues and the robustness of the assessment approach
- Our ability to facilitate the process and reach agreed outcomes with the Commonwealth (as the regulator of the assessment)
- The high quality of the written work we produced
The Growth Centres Program was endorsed at the end of 2011 and development actions were approved at the beginning of 2012.